Frequently Asked Questions about Sunless Tanning
- What are self tanners?
- How many days will a sunless tan last?
- How long should I wait after using a self tanner before showering?
- Will the spray tanning solution from a spray tan application come off my clothes and bed sheets?
- How long does a spray tan application take?
1) Question: What are self tanners?
Answer: All self-tanning formulas use an ingredient called dihydroxyacetone, or as most will refer to as DHA. This ingredient will create an appearance by developing a beautiful brown color on the first layers of your skin, as an end result; will be similar to a real tan achieved by increasing skin melanin levels through exposure to the Sun/UV.
DHA is limited to the upper top layer of the skin and is a reaction between DHA, skin proteins and oxygen, which will produce brown compounds. In most cases your development of color will take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours and will continue to darken through a 24 hour period to your final results. Your DHA color will last between 5 to 8 days and begin to fade as your top layer of skin naturally sheds. The length of your DHA Tan will depend on the personal care of the skin and how well you moisturize to prevent excessive natural exfoliation.
2) Question: How many days will a sunless tan last?
Answer: The life span of your sunless tan will depend on the self tanning application process, the skin's natural exfoliation process, and the skincare regimen following your sunless tan application.
- If applied at home on self (lotions, aerosols/self spray on tans, mousse, etc), you can expect your tan longevity to last 3 to 5 days.
- If you receive a professional application from me, you can expect 5 to 7 days using my Tanning Solutions. If you use my Tan Extender Lotion, tan can last up to 12 days!
Professional Application is the recommended process to receive a sunless tan. Professionals will tend to use a stronger DHA percentage compared to at-home products, giving you a higher quality tan. Most at-home self tanners use only 4-5% DHA strength, as professionals will use on average 9% DHA.
Following a solid skin care regime before and after your sunless tan application will extend your tan's longevity by days! Exfoliation before you tan your skin, then following the tan with daily tan extender lotions typically will extend your tan's life span by 30%.
3) Question: How long should I wait after using a self tanner before showering?
Answer: You should wait at least 9-12 hours hours prior to showering. The DHA ingredient will not react with your skin proteins if you bathe or shower before 6 hours, giving you a much lighter tanning result. If at all possible, we recommend waiting 10 hours or longer to achieve your best results.
4) Question: Will the spray tanning solution from a spray tan application come off my clothes and bed sheets?
Answer: With the cosmetic bronzer (color guide), you might experience that some of the bronze color will rub off on the clothing or bed sheets. To minimize the chance of the bronzer transferring to your clothing, we recommend that you always wear loose-fitting dark clothes. This will help hide any transferring of bronzer until you wash the clothes you were wearing. Refraining from physical exertion until after waiting 6-8 hours to shower will help minimize your transferring any bronzer to your clothes through sweating. Our solution bronzer is water-soluble and will, in most cases, wash out of your clothing or sheets once washed.
5) Question: How long does a spray tan application take?
Answer: With my equipment it will take anywhere from 7 to 10 minutes to complete a professional spray tan. There is more airflow, larger spray coverage on the body, giving you a much quicker application.